Tuesday 7 July 2009

Multiplatform MMOs Part 2

The controls of an MMO is a huge thing which on PC isn't so much a problem with the use of a keyboard and mouse. Consoles are made to be played with controllers. But lets take a look at the basic MMO controls.

You've got WASD to move, and mouse to control camera. Everything else is open for keybinding. A standard keyboard has between 101-105 keys on it, so that leaves between 97-101 keys open.

Now lets look at an Xbox 360 controller. We've got the a left and right analogue stick, a d-pad with 4 directions, 4 face buttons, 4 shoulder buttons, a start and back button and the Xbox Guide button. So for an MMO if we use both analogues for movement and camera control that leaves us with 17 buttons, 16 of which are usable.

I can only speak for myself but I don't think I've ever needed more than 16 skills at one time mapped for an MMO. I've also mentioned in the first part that you can also use a USB keyboard with the Xbox 360 and as far as I'm aware you can do the same with the Playstation 3.

So the only main difference is the use of a mouse.

Check back soon for the next article where I look into graphics and specs.

No comments:

Post a Comment