Monday 6 July 2009

Multiplatform MMOs Part 1

Originally I was writing this as one whole big article but I soon realized it was getting too big so I've decided to cut it up into smaller sections.

The #STO channel has had a few people talking about STO potentially not being released on consoles and it seems a lot of people are happy with this. The general consensus was that the PC version would suffer if a console version was to come around. I don't believe this is the case as long as the game has been designed to be a multi-platform MMO.

First I'm going to look at why a console game would fail.

If a game is ported to a console I think it's safe to say it will most likely fail. The only real example we have is Final Fantasy XI which has been on the PS2 and the Xbox 360. The game was developed with the PS2 in mind as can be seen by the way that the menus are controlled on the PC version. I've played the PC and Xbox 360 version and I hated it on the 360.

The lack of a keyboard and mouse just made it very hard to play. I've only recently found out that you could actually use USB keyboard but it wouldn't have helped me much since I didn't have one back then anyway.

The next article I'll be talking about control schemes and keybindings so check back soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment