Wednesday 8 July 2009

STO Free to Play?

Interesting news has broke on MMORPG regarding the use of something called "Cryptic Bucks" in Champions Online. The description of this item is
"5 Cryptic Bucks which can be used to purchase a variety of premium in-game goods."
This would lead us to believe that Champions Online will be a micro-transaction game which usually means they are free to play or at least subscription-less. I don't really know what to make of this, I'm all for the ability to play games for free. I did QA on 3 different f2p MMO's and as casual games it was fun but for the likes of Champions Online and even more importantly for me, STO this could be a disaster.

I've nothing against f2p but with STO I'm 100% against it. I'm saying this here and now

I will NOT play Star Trek Online if it becomes a micro-transaction game.


I've no problem paying a subscription because everyone has to pay it, a standard fee that everyone who wants to play has to. Think about if they took that away and and made the game free by bringing in certain items that give you a +20% experience boost for a day or maybe huge stat boosts but the catch is you pay with real money or more specifically, you pay with Cryptic Bucks which is obtained by spending real money.

Simply put if you plan on playing competitively you are being forced into buying items which eventually end up costing more than a monthly subscription.

No comments:

Post a Comment