Wednesday 2 September 2009

DUST 514

I finally took the time to go and research this new MMO from CCP called DUST 514 and I have to say, I'm very impressed with where it's going.

I've played my fair share of MMO's at this stage now and I've spent time with others who have played a lot too but one thing that seems to be consistent across the board is people don't like the idea of multi-platform games, most giving the reason because consoles are inferior to PC and don't fit the genre. I wrote a 5 part article about it where I did agree that I'd rather play a multi-platform MMO on PC than on console.

CCP are going a different route. Instead of releasing EvE on console (which would probably be a disaster) they are releasing a completely new console only MMO that is going to integrate with EvE. Introducing DUST 514, an MMOFPS game that is it's own MMO but will take place in the same universe as EvE.

During the unveiling of the game CCP spoke of conquering planets being necessary of controlling space in EvE, this is where DUST 514 comes in, the players can be hired by EvE online Corporations to go to a planet and take it over. I think the easiest way to make sense of it this is to think of EvE Online players as the Navy, while DUST 514 are the infantry.

They have also said that it will be it's own MMO, with quests, skills, areas to explore etc. It's been 3 years in development now so I doubt it will be long before we see more information about this game. I for one am very excited to see how it will turn out.

Personally I think the idea behind this game is great and is going to open up EvE to a lot of people who might have found it too complicated or intense to get into. Depending on it's success, it will be interesting to see where this formula will lead in terms of other MMO's.

3 comments:

  1. I have been a vivid EVE Online Player for the last 2 years and I must say I was a bit hesitate to accept DUST 514 as part of the EVE Universe. With that said, I took an open minded approach and realized that no other MMO has ever tried to accomplish what CCP is producing. The more I learned about the game, the more I wanted to buy a console. Dont take the the wrong way, I love EVE; its just that I have never ventured in playing games other than on PC. Good for CCP to venture out. Maybe we it was planned all this time and finally we can get even more EVE than ever before.

    Cesar

    ReplyDelete
  2. sorry about the miss spelling. its part of playing EVE all nite. :)

    Cesar

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the idea of EVE but its way too indepth for me to be able to play so them branching out into an MMOFPS lets me enjoy the EVE universe in a more casual way but I'm still able to play competitively if I want. Don't worry about spelling, we've all been there :P

    ReplyDelete