Tuesday 1 September 2009

Anatomy of a good MMO: Controls

So last time I talked about graphics and how animations play an important role in the game for me. This time I want to talk about controls.

The generic formula for most MMO's is WASD for movement with skills mapped to the number buttons and while things like character sheets, inventory all correspond to their first letter. This is a fine system to be perfectly honest and most games get it right...but not all.

If there's one thing I can't stand in any MMO, it's a point and click scheme. I see it (in fantasy MMO's) as a very lazy setup, click a mile down the road and watch your character go there. Asian MMO's seem to be the biggest culprit of this and its something that really puts me off playing. If i can't directly control my character, I don't really class it as an RPG since you lose that sense of immersion.

The same really applies to all MMO's, it was one of the many reasons why I'll never be able to play EVE.

Another thing that is a simple must (I'm looking your way Square Enix...) is the ability to jump! I know it may sound like a stupid thing but being able to jump is a great pass time when you're traveling from A to B

Check back next time when I talk about Quests

No comments:

Post a Comment