Monday 31 August 2009

STO: Server Shards

I have been trying to avoid the STO forums for a while now. I started to notice that the more I read each thread, the more I upset or disappointed I'd feel about the game in general, after seeing the recently leaked videos I decided to check back at the forums and see if others felt the awesomeness of it, unfortunately being Trekkies everybody sidestepped that and went onto the next problem instead.

Champions Online uses a system where instead of having multiple servers, they have 1 server with multiple instances of each area. STO is to use this system as well. Apparently people are very upset about this, breaking immersion, loading and gay seem to get thrown around a lot on the 100 different threads that are plaguing the forums.

With it being such an issue I decided to have a think about it to myself and I came to the conclusion that it doesn't really matter in the end. "What did he say?" I hear you ask, yes I know I'm usually the first person to complain about these things but in all honesty I'm not really bothered about it.

Each instance of CO had a 50 player population limit (during beta, could change) which for an area is plenty if it's full. Except for the likes of a social hub or quest center or raid I don't think I've ever seen more than 50 players in one area at one time in any other MMO, probably 10-20 at max. I don't know how many times in WoW I'd have loved the option of going to an empty instance of that area so I could finally grind those 10 Kobold Candles I needed for that quest without the competition.

The only major downside I have with each area being multi instanced is the loading between them which is annoying but not game breaking.

No comments:

Post a Comment