Tuesday 20 October 2009

Uncharted 2 Review


I remember playing the original Uncharted and my mind was blown and it seems that Naughty Dog have only gone up with the quality of Uncharted 2: Among Thieves.

The story takes place sometime after the first where Drake is propositioned with finding Marco Polo's lost treasure, as with all adventures things go wrong and it's up to our "hero" and his friends to sort things out.

The Good

Graphically the game is just spectacular, hands down it's the best looking console game I've ever seen. In some parts I really felt like I was watching live action footage rather than playing a game. The amount of detail put into the smallest of things is brilliant.

Controls are solid, they've really nailed them down, I usually complain about PS3 controllers but after a few minutes it didn't really matter that much.

The story is very witty and it seems that Naughty Dog haven't lost their sense of humor either, some of the banter between characters while going through levels is very well thought up and probably the most satisfying aspect of the narrative.

The voice acting is also superb, The same actors have come back for their respective roles and it's like they left. Star Trek fans will recognise one of the new characters voice as Rene Auberjonois

They added multiplayer! Yes there is now a Call of Duty-esque style multiplayer complete with character levels, perks and a few different modes of gameplay which looks like it will keep the game in peoples PS3's for some time.

The Bad

The graphics can be so good in some parts that when you see one object or area that isn't up to the same standard it really sticks out and can ruin some sequences.

I've been kicked out or disconnected from the multiplayer servers a few times which is a bit annoying.

The game isn't as long as I'd hoped.

Verdict

I was really blown away by some of the set pieces in this game, the scale and complexities of some areas are just astounding.

I recommend everyone who owns a PS3 to go out and buy this game, it really shows what the console is capable of and it also proves that video games really are a story telling medium just as much as film and book. I was upset when it finished because I didn't want it to end so I hope now that Naughty Dog has nailed down their engine and unlocked the cell processor they will be able to spend more time with the next iterations length.

No comments:

Post a Comment