Thursday 3 September 2009

Review: Dancing Barefoot

I have to admit, 6 months ago if you'd have told me I to read something by Wil Wheaton I'd probably have laughed at you and continued on my way. I never really liked Wil on Star Trek, not because he was bad or anything I think I was just jealous that this kid got to play out my dream of not only living in space but being the pilot of a spaceship. 15 years later I've forgiven him and after finding him on Twitter and from there reading his blog I decided to pick up Dancing Barefoot.

The book consists of 5 short stories which detail different parts of Wheatons life, from getting a girl's phone number when he was 15 to going to a Star Trek convention in 2001. All stories get their points across nicely and are a good read but 4 of the stories are summed up in 30 odd pages while the remaining 70 or so are dedicated to Star Trek which isn't necessarily a bad thing but you get the impression that 4 of the stories are only there to add a few more pages to an already short book.

I hate to sound like I'm disappointed with the book because I'm not. I've grown a lot of respect for Wil Wheaton in recent times and this book only adds to that. As I said before the main story is dedicated to a Star Trek convention which includes some very funny stories about cast members and Gene Roddenberry himself as well as some of the crazy Trekkies that are out there which any fan of Star Trek is going to love (at least I did!)

I ordered both Dancing Barefoot and Just a Geek at the same time, it just so happens that I got Dancing Barefoot first. I'm glad that I did order both of them because after reading it I have a serious itch to learn more about the man himself and hopefully get some more insight into what it must have been like being Wesley Crusher as well as a struggling actor.

Overall I'd give this book a 9/10

It's a great read for Trek fans and leaves you wanting more

No comments:

Post a Comment