Thursday 3 September 2009

Anatomy of a good MMO: Quests

I remember playing the likes of Legend of Mir and Ragnarok Online where you're main path to leveling up was grind, grind, grind. I lose interest very quickly with this. Questing was a great invention to hide the fact that you are really just grinding (for the most part) but at least you get a bonus for doing it!

I think while questing is the main issue here, it is indirectly effected by the story of the game too. Some people play MMO's and just take every quest there is available and goes off to do them, while others read each quest and enjoy the story behind them. If I am very serious about playing the game then I'll read each quest and enjoy it.

For me to enjoy an MMO where there is a level system in place, the only way I'd probably max my level is if there was enough quests to do it. World of Warcraft is a great example for this, you can go from 1-80 without ever having to grind outside of a quest and I guess you might say that Blizzard has spoilt me on this now because I expect it from every MMO now.

Check back later where I talk about Guilds.

No comments:

Post a Comment