Wednesday 23 September 2009

Browser based MMO's

I'd say about 5 months ago if you were to have asked me about browser MMO's I'd have said they were a pile of crap that took too long to do anything and were a waste of time. For the most part it's still the same but I have a bit more respect for them now.

I'm back in college so my game time has been cut considerably which means playing an MMO full time is nearly impossible (don't worry STO people, I'll be making as much time as I can for that!) One of the guys there introduced me to a game called Travian which I had heard of before but because it was a browser game I never even bothered looking at it. While waiting for the teacher to show up I set up an account and was shown how to play and now I'm on the road to being addicted to it.

The most annoying thing with these games is the fact that it does take so long to do anything and you can be left waiting a long time with nothing to do which is why the play style is so different. You do what you need to do and log out, come back in a few hours do something else and log out again. It's the busy mans MMO.

They are definitely no substitute for the likes of WoW or the million other MMO's out there so don't expect miracles.

Others that might be closer to that is the likes of Runescape and Eternal Earth which are 3D based browser MMO's which frankly are pretty crappy. I know a lot of people live by Runescape but I couldn't stand it (check back in about 3 months when my mind gets changed) Eternal Earth was a bit closer to mainstream MMO's with WASD controls but is still in beta and needs a lot of work from what I've seen.

I've been enjoying my time so far with Travian. It's a 5 minute job and you're done for a few hours, I'm still classed as a noob so I can't be attacked by PKers yet, I'll be back tomorrow to complain that I got destroyed :P

No comments:

Post a Comment