Friday 11 September 2009

Anatomy of a good MMO: Conclusion

So to conclude my anatomy of a good MMO series I'll quickly recap on what I expect.
  1. Slimline UI which is functional and customizable
  2. WASD controls with the ability to jump!
  3. A questing system that takes me from the first to last level without the need to grind
  4. Interactive guild system
  5. Open ended conquest "End Game" content (like EVE)
I think one other thing that's worth mentioning is originality. In the fantasy genre you're guaranteed to get AT LEAST 1 person that says "wow clone" to any new or even current MMO's out there which makes me want to kick them in the face. If someone was to come along and recreate EVE but make it more user friendly I'd have no problem playing an "EVE clone" Lazy companies copy other games great ideas because it's easy. Smart companies copy others ideas and refine them. Lets be honest, thats all Blizzard did with WoW but you don't hear anyone calling that an Everquest or Dark Age of Camelot clone do you?

No comments:

Post a Comment