Saturday 12 September 2009

Casual EvE?

With the announcement of DUST 514 at Gamescom the other week Hilmar Pétursson made a passing comment that they didn't just want to bring EVE to consoles which was a no brainer. EVE is hard enough to grasp on PC, the thought of trying to play it with a controller makes my head hurt.

Console gamers don't have the attention span needed to play that kind of game, even the majority of MMO gamers have a hard time grasping EVE. So it got me thinking, what would CCP have to do to give EVE a more casual or mainstream feel?

Controls: WASD controls would be nice. It breaks my heart when I play EVE and I'm not able to control my ship directly, it looks like it could be so much fun! I don't think it would be a very hard thing to change if they really wanted.

Skill System: I've got to hand it to CCP, their skill system is unbelievably complex, so many different things but to a more casual player it's a disaster to try and figure out. Even though they have each skill under a section. I think to make it more accessible, having each skill in a class section as well would be helpful even if you weren't bound to one class I think newer players might get the hang of things a lot easier (I know I would!)

Interface: EVE has the most unforgiving interface you'll come across, for the most part it's nearly impossible to have everything you need at one point up on screen at once, the fonts are way too small to read unless you have a magnifying glass on hand. Having a beginners and advanced UI with more customization would go a long way.

These are just a few things I think would make EVE immensely more accessible to a casual customer base.

Is there anything else you think could make it a better or think I'm wrong? Leave a comment!

No comments:

Post a Comment