Sunday 26 July 2009

Review: Moon

I don't usually have any interest in reviewing things, I either like it or don't but this film is the first one in a while that I feel people really need to go and see.

I'll try and keep the spoilers to a minimum but some might trickle through so if you want to avoid them, might be best to go see the movie first then come back and read :)

My friends know that I'm a sucker for sci-fi related movies, they rarely come around anymore, thankfully director and writer Duncan Jones was up to the channel and brought one that I think will stay with me for a while.

The premise of the story is that Sam Bell is just about to finish his 3 year contract for an energy company who harvest helium-3 from the Moon. He is the the only employee working on his station where his sole companion is Gerty a robot which regulates the stations processes while catering to Sam's needs. Being alone for that stretch of time starts doing odd things to Sam's mind which causes an accident.

It's one of those movies that might not sit well with everyone, without trying to spoil, not a whole lot happens and for some people it might be a little bit predictable but that doesn't take away from the fact that the movie is very good to watch and you really relate to the characters and by the time the movie is over, you're happy to walk out with pretty much the same you came in with.

When I read the description of the film before seeing it, I was convinced it would be a horror film but I was pleasantly surprised that it wasn't. Sam Rockwell did a fantastic job keeping my attention throughout the film, being the only real flesh character that we see, there wasn't a moment where I got bored watching him. Kevin Spacey who plays the voice of Gerty was also brilliant, very dry and robotic but with a hint of emotion and love for Sam.

The ending was very anti-climatic but great, going any further I think would have hindered what the film was trying to portray.

The director only had 1 film prior to this under his belt and hes right up there with the best of them in my opinion. Funnily enough from checking his IMDB page he also worked on a game called Republic: The Revolution which I wasted a summer playing and fell in love with it back about 6-7 years ago. I hope he sticks with the science fiction genre because so far he hasn't disappointed me and I can only hope that his next film is a further refinement to his art.

Score: 9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment