Monday 27 July 2009

Impressions: Trine

The only reason I even knew that this game existed is because GameTrailers reviewed it, after watching it I decided to check it out for myself and it was really awesome.

It's hard to categorize the game, it has the makings of a platform game, an rpg and an MMO style class system, I felt like I was playing Diablo in side scrolling mode at first but then as I got into the game I settled on the fact that it is indeed a platforming game.

The premise is to solve puzzles in a side scrolling level to get to the end. Sounds simple enough but the catch is some puzzles can only be completed by 1 of the 3 characters you control which can make things a bit confusing. I found that most the puzzles I came across were simple enough to figure out which character I needed to use, but some of them weren't as easy to figure out, while others could be completed a few different ways between all 3.

The three characters you control are. The Wizard, The Warrior and The Thief. The Wizard can move objects and create blocks. The Warrior can attack and block with his shield and the thief can shoot arrows and use a grapple hook.

Graphically the game is gorgeous, it might not be on par with the likes of Crysis but it's very stylised and runs great on lower end computers as well as high end. It has a steampunk feel to it which in my books is great.

I suggest that anyone that likes RPG's, puzzles and side scrollers to check it out, it's fun to play and a good time waster.

No comments:

Post a Comment