Wednesday 24 June 2009

FFXIV: Shortcut Keys

Back when I first played FFXI, with it being my first MMO I didn't really know any better when it came to the genre, 4-5 years later with 10+ MMO's under my belt, my knowledge and expectations have certainly grown.

Since I've been revisiting Vana'Diel I've noticed one thing that is a major pain in the ass.

A lack of shortcut keys.

The game did have a few but was missing quite a few that are nearly expected to be present in present day MMO's. The main one that I couldn't find was the first one I would want. A map key. Most games have this mapped to the M button but after reading through the guide in the picture I couldn't find one. Some of the shortcut keys that are in the game I felt had unnecessary combos like "Ctrl + i" to open inventory. There was no reason why it couldn't have just been "i" like most other games.

I think if FFXIV is going to be successful in the West with both players and the media they need to standardise their control scheme to allow for proper shortcut keys.

No comments:

Post a Comment