Wednesday 24 June 2009

FFXIV: Enemies

There are a few enemies from XI that are very memorable. The Goblins and Orc stick out for the me the most since they were everywhere around San'dOria. I think one of the things that stuck with the most about the enemies in XI was the ability to "train" them all the way to the exit of an area. The first time I saw this I thought it was brilliant until 2 seconds later when all those enemies turned to look at me and killed me fairly quickly.

It got me thinking about XIV and on how they might handle it this time around. Trying to check the enemies level or exit a battle if it got too tough in XI was a chore.
/check
"Orc is an even match"
*Battle*
"TerryN calls for help!"
*Battle*
"TerryN disengages from battle"
*Running*
*Dead*
At the time when playing XI I never really questioned the reasons behind locking an enemy to the first player/party that attacked it until I saw it done better in the countless other MMO's and should be something that Square-Enix invest some time in.

The ability to get enemies to follow you is an inherent problem with this system. Enemies should have an area which they are aggressive in, once the player leaves that area they go back to their patrol route or something where enemies will not follow you forever.

One thing I'd like seen implemented too is a level system for enemies instead of vague check messages. It's not 100% important, but I'd still rather see it XIV.

No comments:

Post a Comment