Sunday 28 June 2009

Connect!On gives a bit more information on FFXIV

There seems to be a lot of Asian media covering FFXIV, it's just a pity the western media isn't. Connect!On managed to get an interview with Producer Hiromichi Tanaka and Director Nobuaki Koumoto. Zam have an article about it which you can read right here.

A lot of the information is recycled but I'm going to list the bits of information I found to be most interesting.

First up
"The keyword is "growth" and FFXIV will be sold as a game that allows improvement without unnecessary hardship. Koumoto references FFXI, saying it is a game that relies too exclusively on defeating enemies over and over to advance, and that FFXIV will bring new avenues of facilitating character growth, such as quests."
This is great news. Anyone that has played FFXI knows how much of a grind fest the game is and how long it can actually take to level up to cap. I also got a hint of a Free Realms kind of class system from that paragraph. Maybe we'll have a Postman Moogle class?

Next!
"Speaking of which, we have also heard from Tanaka that the traditional experience points and level system will not be used this time around. "
This definitely has the smell of Free Realms, I'm not really sure what I think about that, I think as long as questing and killing is an option to progress I'll be fine with it.
"The team is looking into large-scale battles as well. Also, it may not always be against an enemy. PvP content is also been worked on as an option, but it seems they are stopping shy of allowing unrestrained dueling and player killing."
This was one of the main things I think was missing from FFXI, PvP was never really there. I think this, as long as it is implemented well will bring a lot of people into the game.
"Tanaka adds that they are maintaining the same stance against griefing through PKing and kill stealing as they have in FFXI."
I hope that doesn't mean they will keep the same system of locking a monster to the character...It was a bit distressing when you were in serious need of help and couldn't fumble through the menu fast enough to get to the call for help button.

1 comment:

  1. Part of that problem was the menu system used to control your character. The port to PC was terrible. At the time I played I was OK with it, but I picked up a trial again and realised what a disaster it was. If there is no sensible menu system, yes a standard control bar along the bottom of the screen, in FFXIV, I don't think I will play.

    ReplyDelete