Thursday 25 March 2010

See you soon STO

Star Trek Online has been a success, at least in the eyes of Atari and Cryptic Studios. I don't think the same thing would be said by a vast majority of the initial player base, myself included. I don't think it's a failure, but it definitely needs some work!

The game has been launched nearly 2 months now and while Cryptic are still pushing out content updates like the recently released Season One which adds new PvP maps, more missions and a few other things you can find out about here

I've decided to cancel my subscription to the game for a while. My reason is being is that I can't justify the cost of a monthly subscription when there's so little to do. While the first taskforce mission was a lot of fun to play, in reality (for the moment anyway) it's the only real piece of endgame content available.

Another reason, which might not have played a part in my original decision to cancel the subscription, has definitely helped me in not regretting it. Charging real cash for in-game items. Aka - Microtransactions. I've made my opinions clear on the MT subject and they've officially become a reality today. Charging $4 dollars so you can create 2 more character is ridiculous. While I can understand stupid cosmetic things like new uniforms or bridge layouts, charging you to make more characters??

It's always been my opinion for an MMO that the first thing the developer should be concerned about is how they're going to keep people playing the game. Allowing the player to create more characters so they can play as different classes or factions usually does the trick for a while, it gives the developer enough time to build on it's existing end-game content. Cryptic, in their infinite wisdom decided to only give 3 character slots (5 if you bought the lifetime subscription)

I think it's very cheeky to ask a player to pay a fee on top of a monthly subscription for a slot to make a new character, something I think Cryptic (and any other company that does it) should be very ashamed of. I don't care that more characters take up extra server space. This is why you pay a monthly subscription in the first place!

In the end it's the long time/loyal player base who are the ones being targeted here. A new player isn't going to worry about multiple slots, retraining options and god knows whatever other ideas they come up with, it's the end-game players who need to consider them which is eventually what happens. I think as long as Cryptic keep game changing items out of the C-Store, people are most likely just going to accept these charges, but if Cryptic do cross that line...Game Over

I know I sound very harsh, that just goes to show how strongly I feel about it I guess but I don't want to say I'm finished with game forever because it's not true. You'll never see me using the C-Store, if they can continue to add more missions and new types of end-game content I would definitely come back to play them, but until then I'll watch from the sidelines so I don't miss anything and wait for the right time to come back.

2 comments:

  1. The way things are going atm, Cryptic is making very bad decisions. I have yet to check out the critiques, but the one I read in a local computer magazine is bad. And I can't really blame them. There's not much to do, even at the beginning of the game. It takes just a few days before you get bored of space combat, and ground combat sucks completely. Star Trek is a hard franchise to turn into a game. The author of the review had a good point. What we expect in a game, the excitement, it's not what we expect in a Star Trek episode. ST cuts out the boring hours of flying around, and the annoying parts, we get to see just the fun stuff. Cryptic took on a hard task, which I believe they did good, but they need to start making better decisions. With MT like this, you can bet your ass I'll never play this game. I simply can't support such greed. It's pure, open greed. If you charge 15 bucks a month, that should cover everything. I have yet to see an MMO that will amaze me, with a good dedicated team that makes good decisions. Runescape was pretty close to that, but not quite perfect. Everyone else just pissed me off so far. Anyway, enough of my ranting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i saw the writing on the wall before release. bad mojo with cryptic

    ReplyDelete