Monday 7 September 2009

Anatomy of a good MMO: Guilds

I don't think there is a modern MMO that doesn't have some kind of guild system in it. Generally I wouldn't join a guild in a game until I was close to the level cap so I could level up. That didn't work so well for me in EVE since there was no levels and you're basically a sheep surrounded by wolves. With the likes of WoW introducing Guild Leveling in the next expansion and EVE's unofficial requirement for you to join I think it's only fair to say that it's needed.

Yet again WoW tipped my interest in this area with its guild leveling, I don't think it's really anything new but it's the usual thing, if Blizzard implement it, you sure as hell know every new MMO on the block will have it too, so what exactly would I expect to make it good or at least keep me happy? Quite simply, I'd like to see a guild system that is like a character in itself, with its own stats, talents, class and "armor". Blizzard seem to be addressing most of these which is brilliant and I'm really looking forward to more information when it becomes available.

EVE has a perfect system with corporations in my mind, I like the sandbox nature to it, where you make a business (like that bank in-game that is going through it's own recession right now) All it takes is for it to made a little more user friendly and approachable for the average gamer and I think I'd be in heaven.

What I see as a failure in a guild system is where it becomes a glorified chat room. Unless it has a purpose and provides some advantages/disadvantages in your game then I wouldn't see it as useful or fun in any way.

No comments:

Post a Comment