Saturday 4 July 2009

Runes of Magic Impressions

The only reason I think heard about this game before it was released is because I have 2 friends who have worked at Frogster on the QA/Production team and even when they told me about the game my first thought really was it was a WoW clone.

Funnily enough I don't think Frogster has even attempted to hide the fact that it's a WoW clone, their website is similar, graphics are similar, controls are similar...I think you get the point. I don't think this is a bad thing though. I've said it before and I'll say it again WoW is popular for a reason, and the biggest flattery is imitation.

The one difference being is that this is a free to play MMO which is good and bad. It's great that you don't have to pay to play but there are items you can buy with real cash that is going to make your gaming a lot easier and give a huge advantage so if you're planning on PvP'ing expect to have to pay to keep up with the competition.

The game plays very much like WoW so anyone who has played it before will feel right at home, there is also the option to control your character with right clicking the terrain on where you want to go, not my thing but a nice option for those who prefer it.

The starting area quests are very simple and ease you into it which is great for absolute beginners and it's not so bad for the more experienced. Once you reach level 10 you are given the option to have a secondary class which gives you access to better stats and more skills. Like FFXI you need to level these classes up separately and only certain things carry over from each class.

The highest level character I ended up with was a 18 Mage / 15 Priest.

Overall my opinion of the game is that it's an nice alternative for those who might not be able to afford a subscription MMO but I don't think it's a substitute for one either. It's a nice time waster.

Here's a few screenshots to check out, click on them to make them bigger.































Check back soon for some videos!

No comments:

Post a Comment