Friday 12 June 2009

STO: Career Paths

So far with STO we know of 3 distinct career paths to take in the game across both factions
  • Science
  • Engineering
  • Tactical
At first I thought that this may end up being too little for an MMO but then it dawned on my slowly, besides space gameplay there is also ground based gameplay which will make the classes a bit different in each area.

In space I can imagine the engineer being the healer class as it will be able to repair ships at a better rate and will be a support role but during ground gameplay his role would be a lot different. He would turn out to be the weapons master maybe on par with a hunter type class.

With the Science class I see this as being the main support role in space, tricking enemy sensors, using surrounding areas to hide and stalk their prey, using their deflectors and masters of reversing their polarity. On the ground they would end up playing the healer class.

Tactical is a hard one to try and see different roles for ground and space as in my mind they will the tanks in both space and ground combat. I guess thats not a bad thing really since a lot of people will end up liking just being the tank. When I first got into MMO's thats what I liked doing.

So which class can I see myself playing as?

I think I'm going to go with being an engineer for my first character. I've never been one that wants to be a healer but I can imagine in fleet operations my services could come in handy and it could be a lot of fun.


Geordi would be proud

Most likely after that I would end up playing a tactical class just so Worf and Tuvok don't get the wrong idea.

And then eventually I'd move on to science.

No comments:

Post a Comment