Friday 19 June 2009

FFXIV: Menu Navigation

Since playing FFXI a few days ago I think I spent the first hour or so getting used to the controls and menu navigation in the game. I don't remember it being so appalling.

With XI being Square-Enix's first venture into the MMO genre it's understandable that they might have brought along a lot of misconceptions from their console games, it's also worth noting that it was being developed for the PS2 as well as the PC so they had to make a few concessions regarding controls.

So what would I like to see done differently?

FFXIV is slated to be released on the PS3 and PC simultaneously, having two different menu systems that can be changed through the options would suit a multi-platform MMO. A WoW/AoC/CoH version for PC users and a more controller centric menu for console users who might not have a keyboard.

That was my #1 problem with XI, it felt like I should have been using a controller to navigate the menu and only need a keyboard to chat with other people.

For a game to be truly multi-platform I think that the menus need to be optimized for each platform it's on instead of trying to make one that barely works with all.

1 comment:

  1. This is a great point, I never thought about that before. I would like console specific menus too. Lets start the fight for them, here, today.

    ReplyDelete