Tuesday 16 June 2009

FFXI Nostalgia

A bout of nostalgia cast over me yesterday when a friend and myself decided to play FFXI to remember the good times. Unfortunately our night was completely ruined like the Gods were telling us
"You cannot play!"
It started off when we both installed the game, we planned on having a silly race to see who's computer could install the game the fastest and then update the game and log in. We never intended on playing seriously. We both had a copy of the game which has the usual 30 days free subscription and just wanted to mess around in the starting zone.

We both managed to install the game around the same time (I didn't win the install race) but then we came to our first problem. You still required a credit card to register, something neither of us had available at the time. Thankfully we managed to get our hands on one and signed up and then we came to our next problem. My net kept disconnecting...

For the most part, my internet is very stable and runs well but it just wasn't working last night once we both were able to log into PlayOnline. My only explanation for it was that PlayOnline didn't like two computers connecting from different accounts on the same IP maybe. I tried the usual stuff, forwarding ports, turning off firewalls/anti-virus and nothing would work. Only one of us could access the internet at one time.

This brought us to our next dilemma. I decided to start downloading the updates to see how long we were looking at.

The version of the game I had was from 2008 but the updates still took nearly 8 hours to complete. I'm guessing that Square-Enix has a very small cap on the download speeds from their servers because I'm running a 17mbps line and shouldn't have had to wait 8 hours.

So 8 hours finally passed (after some sleep, food and a look around town) and I was finally able to play except for one problem. My friend still had to update his game and was having even more troubles than I did with network problems, PlayOnline errors, the works!

It took roughly a total of 16 hours to sort everything out and we finally got a chance to play

Check back later later to see how it went!

No comments:

Post a Comment