Saturday 27 June 2009

BattleForge Impressions

I surprised when I first heard about BattleForge. The thoughts of an RTS MMO with trading card elements didn't exactly sound appealing to me so I stayed away from it but now that the game is free to play I decided to take a look and I'm glad I did.

Funnily enough the thing that I found let it down the most was that it is an MMO. This game could have made a fantastic single player RTS game, it has all the makings of one that's for sure. I only played the introduction maps and had a look at a few of the menu screens after that but for the most part it really feels like an RTS except you've got your usual MMO skill bar running across the bottom of the screen except it's filled with your deck of cards which basically were only used to create new units/buildings and area of effect attacks.

The graphic style of the game was very pretty, you don't need to break the bank on a graphics card to get it running and it looks stylised. It reminded me maybe of Warcraft 3 updated to 2008/9

The controls all worked as you'd expect from an RTS without any hitches with some nice shortcut keys mapped like you would with an MMO.

The music and sound effects in the game was great as well, had the epic LOTR/WoW feel to it but the voices of some units were just annoying and having to listen to them every time you click on them got old fast.

Overall in my opinion BattleForge is just an RTS game that forces you to play multiplayer. EA Phenomic made a very wise choice of making this game free to play because I don't think I'm the only one who thought this and wasn't keen on paying a subscription.

Final Words: If you like Warcraft 3 and other fantasy RTS games, you should give this try.

No comments:

Post a Comment